The journey of DB Arriva began in 1938 when the Cowie family opened a second-hand motorcycle shop in Sunderland, UK.
Today, the company is running more than 2.4 billion passenger journeys across 14 european countries each year. DB Arriva employs around 60,000 people and operates a range of transport modes, providing bus, train, tram, ferry, car and bike-sharing services.
DB Arriva delivers innovative transport solutions that link people, communities and economies and has a wealth of experience of different transport markets.
Did you know ...
… that DB Arriva, a DB subsidiary that offers passenger transport outside Germany, is active in 14 different European countries, and that it handled some 2.4 billion journeys in 2018? DB Arriva is the number 2 on the UK market, with a market share of 21%.
… that DB Arriva’s ArrivaClick service in the UK is the largest on-demand bus service of its kind? The ArrivaClick app has been downloaded more than 34,000 times for a total of 130,000 bus journeys in Kent and Liverpool.
… that DB Arriva in Copenhagen successfully operates a DriveNow fleet with around 500 cars – most of them electric – and roughly 82,000 registered customers?
… that DB Arriva in Jutland won the only rail transport contract put out to tender in Denmark? And for the third time in a row. The service’s ontime rate is 99%.
… that DB Arriva in Limburg, a province in the Netherlands, has a contract to run integrated bus and rail service until 2030 and is a pioneer in electromobility? DB Arriva is using 250 new buses for the service.
… that DB Arriva offers an hourly direct connection between Aachen and Maastricht on the new RE 18, with a journey time of 55 minutes? The service is the first direct rail link in more than 26 years.
… that DB Arriva is the largest bus operator in Croatia? It has more than quadrupled the number of bus journeys from 2.6 million to 12.6 million by acquiring the Autotrans Group.
In the United Kingdom, DB Arriva operates both bus and rail services.
- Arriva UK Bus provides a wide range of rural, urban and inter-urban bus services. The company operates services in London where it runs the famous red double-decker buses and in the South East, the Midlands, Yorkshire, the North East, the North West and North Wales.
When it comes to new technologies and smart transport solutions, DB Arriva is a fast adopter. ArrivaClick, the Arriva UK Demand-Responsive Transport (DRT) solution, expanded after a successful pilot in Kent near London to Liverpool with a fleet of mini-buses in 2018.
- Arriva UK trains Arriva is a major train operator in the UK, with 18 years’ experience in providing passenger rail services and sharing strong relationships with our customers, transport bodies and tendering authorities. Arriva runs three rail franchises and two rail contracts that cover 21 per cent of the entire network. This includes Northern, CrossCountry, Chiltern Railways, Grand Central Railway and London Overground.
DB Arriva entered the mainland Europe transport market in Denmark in 1997, and has grown to develop a significant footprint in 13 countries on the continent: Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
The liberalization of the European transport markets is continuing, and the operations span a wide range of operating environments, in locations with varying market characteristics.
To give a few examples:
- DB Arriva in Denmark has been operating rail services in Denmark for 15 years, with the re-won Jutland contract currently constituting 13% of the Danish rail network. DB Arriva has re-won the only rail network in Denmark put out to competitive tender for the third consecutive time in 2018. Arriva Denmark operates trains, buses, city cars (DriveNow) and harbour buses.
- Arriva has been active in the Swedish bus market since 1999 and has been a rail transport provider since 2007 when it first started operating the Pågatågen rail contract. Within the contract, Arriva will provide services to passengers across the Pågatågen rail network until December 2026. The company also runs bus services in Stockholm as part of the ‘E20 contract’ - the largest integrated, multi-modal public transport contract in Sweden.
- DB Arriva in Czech Republic has established a significant presence in the Czech Republic’s bus market with services covering almost half the country. Despite early-stage liberalization in rail services, tendering opportunities are emerging and Arriva already has a foothold in the market.
- DB Arriva Netherlands is already one of the largest bus operators in the Netherlands. Having entered the Dutch transport market in the late 1990s, Arriva is also the country’s largest private rail operator with 60 per cent of the liberalized market. In 2015, DB Arriva has won the 15-year multi-modal Limburg contract in the Netherlands which will integrate emission-free, multi-modal services, new technology for passengers and cross-border services.